Tuesday, May 17, 2016

becoming a pro...

Even after the excessive amount of snake repellent sprinkled around the coop, I found another snake sprawled out on the floor of the coop last Thursday (May 12, 2016). I had gotten home a little later than usual and found the door leading out to the yard was closed. When I went to go check on the girlies, they were squawking loudly. Clearly, they were letting me know that something was wrong. Once I had let them outside, I opened the door to step into the coop. Right as I was about to take my first step, I looked down and saw this 4 1/2 ft. chicken snake laying across the floor. One of the chicks would not leave the roost in fear of the snake sprawled out in her landing space. Once I had decided to go ahead and pull the snake out, the chick looked to me for help. (side note: It was very hard not to just jump over the snake to rescue the chicken, but it was important to get the snake out first) Grabbing one of the 2 shovels that I had leaning up on the side of the coop, I raked the snake out onto the ground, stabbed it so that it couldn't slither away, pulled it out from under the coop, and stabbed it with another shovel repeatedly until it was dead. 


Here are a few pictures of the snake that I took once it was no longer as much of a threat to us


Here is a picture of me with the snake once it was dead. I was clearly a momma on a mission. 




I have since put hardware cloth over the windows. I also am going to put rubber stripping under the door and get even more snake repellent to keep the critters out!!

Hopefully, there will be no more snakes in the coop or around the chickens anymore! I will keep y'all posted!

#mommaonawarpath #protectthegirls #nomoresnakes #imapro 


              

No comments:

Post a Comment