Thursday, August 11, 2016

proud momma...

the girls are all grown up...

August 3, 2016 || The chickens laid their first eggs. YAY!!

After having turned about 5 months old the day before, the golden sex-link girls have finally (after what felt like an eternity) started laying eggs!!!! I could not be more proud of them! 

At first, they were laying pretty small eggs, but they have gotten bigger as time has gone on. Now, they are laying beautiful, delicious, large brown eggs, and I could not be more proud of them! 

This is a terrible picture of me (and the eggs had not been cleaned yet), but I was so excited to find those eggs in the nesting boxes... right where they should be!
Quickly after finding these eggs, washing them, and storing them in the refrigerator, I ran outside to the coop to fill the nesting boxes with hay and golf balls (rather than fake eggs) so that they would continue to keep laying in there! I have also switched them over to layer feed and been providing them with plenty of oyster shell to keep their calcium levels up, which in turn helps make the egg shells harder. So far, they have been doing a great job and I am so excited for the rest of them to catch up and start laying!! 


I had to commemorate this exciting day by taking a picture of one of my egg-laying champs! 






 As you can see, these are the eggs now! They are large, beautiful, and tasty! I am so proud of my egg-laying champs and can't wait to start selling their eggs very soon! 





#egglayingchamps #proudmomma #buttfruit #largebrowneggs 

No comments:

Post a Comment